The purpose of the Community Coordinator is to enable Saha Astitva’s vision of forest regeneration and sustainable development through tribal community integration. The community coordinator will lead the community integration aspect through building community relations, researching sustainable, alternate livelihoods including organic farming projects, and collaborating with government departments and NGOs to develop environmental education and awareness programmes.
- Build relationships with the local tribal community, ensuring participation, empowerment and capacity/skills building
- Design and implement projects across multiple disciplines, such as livelihoods, environment, training, governance
- Work with tribal women and men on alternate livelihood projects such as organic farming, eco-tourism, organic milk production etc.
- Research and access government schemes such as NREGA, Social Forestry etc.
- Liaise between the Gorad village tribal community and Saha Astitva team
- Collaborate with local NGOs on specific initiatives
- Education and skills:
- Degree in Social Work, Rural Development, Education, Social Sciences or related
- Interest and respect for tribal culture is essential, knowledge of western culture helpful
- Fluent in Marathi and strong English skills
- Strong communication skills, empathetic and adaptable
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated
- Able to adapt and adopt a flexible, patient attitude when working in extreme and adverse conditions!
- Awareness of tribal issues and ability to connect to the tribal community
- Interest in natural living/ yoga and healthy diet a bonus
- Rural development experience preferred
- Conditions: willing to live in the village for part of the time; at least a 6 month commitment; negotiable salary, commensurate with experience.
Languages: English essential Marathi/Hindi a bonus (a translator will help with communications with the staff if necessary).
Conditions: willing to live in rustic accommodation on the farm; position available as an internship, or if suitable, as a paid position; negotiable salary, commensurate with experience.
Location: Gorad Village, near Ganeshpuri, Thane District, Maharashtra (60km from Mumbai)
Start date: As soon as possible
Contact details: Kalyani and Daniel Uppendahl at email@example.com